Sunday 30 March 2014

Alice and Oscar's Quniola-

  Quinoa. What a peculiar thing it is. Looks like sand. Has a somewhat un-pronounceable name and causes so much confusion in shops when you ask for it!
Not to mention, my computer does not like it when I attempt to spell it.

    Up until a week or so ago, I'd never tried the stuff. I'd always seen it advertised as a SUPERFOOD; high in protein, gluten free, low GI, fibre, tasty and great as a side dish. The works really! However, I was always a smidge nervous. Especially at the beginning of my recovery when I was terrified of over eating or was insistent on weighing out precise serving sizes. Plus, I didn't know how to cook the stuff. Was it like rice that went to stodge when overcooked or broke your teeth and choked you if not left long enough?
All in all, quinoa was a mystery. 
But I was determined to try it and so I found Altiplans Express, Alice and Oscar's Quinola sachets. Not only had I never seen portioned sachets in the UK, but I'd never seen Pearl Quinoa, Red Quinoa or Black Quinoa!

    
 Well, I certainly was worrying about nothing all along! It's tasty and these sachets made portion control and actually making the quinoa really simple! I cut open the top and popped them into the microwave for two minutes and BISH BASH BOSH, they were ready to go.
I think that's the main reason that I liked it! Because it was really easy and useful when I was busy; I used it in a salad one day and then the other, used it as a side for some chicken with feta and roasted peppers.
    I think I'll start getting quinoa more often. The fact that is is so packed full of protein, and nutritionally balanced makes it really great for refuelling after training and it's perfectly wholesome and clean! Not to mention the fact that it is Fairtrade!
You can buy this brand online and it's currently available in a lot of stores in Ireland!!



No comments:

Post a Comment