Sunday 23 February 2014

Great 'Protein Balls of Fire'; a protein overload

     Bread and pasta as with many anorexics, became EXTREME fear foods. I seldom touched them and tried to eliminate them from my diet.
   I still find that they are a challenge nowadays, but with pasta in particular , I've realised that I shouldn't fear foods and instead learn that everything should be considered healthy and normal.
Bread on the other hand, I have huge problems with. It repeats on me and sends my stomach into turmoil, so I rarely eat it and if I have to, I choose pita breads because I find that they 'attack' my tummy less.
Anyway, a few weeks ago, DR Zak's sent me a loaf and some of their protein pasta to try.


The first thing I should mention is WARNING THIS STUFF IS NOT LOW CALORIE IN THE SLIGHTEST, NOR IS IT SOMETHING PEOPLE SHOULD USE SIMPLY INSTEAD OF NORMAL PASTA!
The 'DR' himself, even says that it is  'specially developed to help athletes build and maintain muscle as part of a healthy training programme.' 
At a whooping 30g protein for 2 slices of bread though, it is definitely suitable for people, who like me, are trying to gain muscle/mass/increase their exercise levels.
I also have to admit, that I am not overly fond of the pasta. It does exactly what it says on the tin (well, pouch) in that it fills you up. To the point where I thought I was going to explode and pasta come out of my ears. Also, it tastes quite rubbery and definitely not like pasta should. 
The bread on the other hand surprised me. It really is quite delicious. I was dubious due to my past bread 'woes', but it is soft, quite sweet and tastes like nice, good quality bread. Plus, it didn't repeat on me. WINNER! I've used it as a base for BBQ Chicken, oregano and mushroom 'Pizza' below and toasted with cinnamon to make a sweeter bread.
The price is not for the faint hearted though and I possibly won't be buying it again; not with my student budget. The bread starts at £4.50 a loaf, and the pasta, £4.70 for 400g. Wowzers.
http://www.dr-zaks.com/

Then, I got some balls. Not literally of course, but Bounce Protein Ball bites. Now, I've only tried the Coconut and Macadamia one of these so far, but THERE ARE DIVINE!
- Post workout snack?   Check
- Gluten Free?               Check
- Natural Ingredients?   Check
- Full of Protein?          Check

They come in a variety of delicious super-food flavours and I am one keen bean to get the ball rolling (pun intended) and to try the other flavours of these pronto! 

                     www.bouncefoods.com/uk                   @BouncBallsUK

                                                                     xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment